Get a student from IT Security as an intern
New ideas | New angles | New knowledge
An internship agreement is a wonderful opportunity to resolve concrete tasks and at the same time meet an almost educated IT Security specialist who is able to look at the company’s areas of work with a different set of eyes.
With an internship agreement you get:
- additional manpower to conduct analyses, test experimental constructions and draw-up development tasks
- the opportunity to try out a prospective employee in practice
- the opportunity to provide a student with valuable practical experience
Most IT Security students write their main exam project for the company during their internship. The exam project is a good opportunity for the company to clarify a particular area e.g., implement a specific analysis or get extra resources for a current development task.
What type of work can you expect an intern to carry out?
The intern can work with the planning, design, configuration, implementation, testing and management of network solutions containing elements such as:
- Penetration testing / vulnerability scanning of company systems
- Designing and implementing a secure network architecture
- Revising or producing company security policies and workflows
- Testing and analysing the company's software and its structure
- Monitoring and analysing the network
- Implementing SIEM (Security Information and Event Management)
- Computer forensics
In addition to this, the intern can help with other miscellaneous tasks and should be included in the department’s regular daily routines.
Planning of the internship period
The cooperative relationship between the student and the company will of course vary from company to company. What is important is a positive and ambitious attitude towards the cooperation from both parties.
We have compiled some good advice that will help you as well as the student to benefit as much as possible from the internship.
- Student and company adjust expectations prior to the internship period. This involves tasks to be performed, working hours and other expectations to ensure mutually satisfactory cooperation.
- Always feel free to contact the student’s internship counsellor at the Academy for inspiration, information or advice concerning the internship. The student is completing an internship in order to learn. Make sure you provide a good mixture of tasks of both a challenging and also a more routine-based nature. Some are able to handle a lot of responsibility from day one, others need a more careful dosage.
- It is recommended to link the student to one or more contacts throughout the internship, individuals who can help guide, inspire and motivate the student.
- Think about and discuss what a good subject could be for the student’s final exam project. Some agree on the subject at an early stage, whereas others wait until they know each other a little better.
- Introduce the student to the entire company, look at the intern as a ‘fully accepted’ member of the team.
- Be proactive – talk to the student or the Academy if something is not quite as expected.
The student, the company and Business Academy Aarhus will sign an internship agreement prior to the internship.
To ensure the right match between students and companies, we have compiled a list of requirements to internship companies (pdf)
When and for how long?
The internship starts in January or August and lasts for 10 weeks. After the end of the internship period, the student and the company can agree that the final exam project will be written in cooperation with the company.
Internships are in the fourth semester, after 1½ years of study
Get an intern for free
As the internship is a part of the It Security programme, your company is not obliged to pay a salary to the intern.
The company is allowed to give the student a ‘token’ payment of up to 3000 DKK per month.
Subsidies for transport, rent and a phone, which the student can document are related to the internship, can be given without affecting the student's educational grant (SU).
Declaration of secrecy
A student who becomes aware of trade secrets during his/her internship may not share or use this information without prior approval as stipulated in the Commercial Secrets Act, §4. Business Academy Aarhus employees and external co-examiners who are involved with internships are also covered by §4 of the Commercial Secrets Act, just as they have a duty of confidentiality pursuant to Chapter 8, Section §27 of the Public Administration Act.
If the internship takes place in a company in Denmark, the student is covered by the act on worker's compensation (lov om arbejdsskadesikring), cf. Ministerial Order no.185 from 23 February 2017, and by the act on liability for damages (lov om erstatningsansvar).
It is therefore the internship company’s responsibility to insure the intern, just as all other employees are insured. Associations and sole proprietors are also covered by the duty to insure, even if you don’t have any other employees.
If the internship takes place in a company outside of Denmark, then it is the student's responsibility to examine and assess whether he or she can be covered by the company's insurance policies. In cases where the student is not covered by the company's insurance, the student must ensure that they have any necessary insurance.
Facts about the programme
The Bachelor programme in It security gives the students theoretical knowledge and prcatical experience during all three semesters as students work with it systems, network and mobile applications. The programme is based on four areas
Uddannelsen rummer fire kerneområder:
- System and application security
- Network and communication security
- Designing secure systems
- It governance
How to get an intern
You can find an intern by placing an advert in our job portal
It’s free, and your advert will be available to all students who are looking for an internship company.
In the advert, explain what tasks you want solved and what expectations you have to the student’s competencies and personal profile.
Here are some examples of companies that have had students in an internship from IT Security.
If you have any questions, you are always welcome to contact us.